UNC-Charlotte Holds White Privilege Workshop, Almost No One Shows Up

Erin Evans

Last week, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte held a white privilege workshop entitled “White Consciousness Conversations for Students.”

“Understanding the meaning and implications of whiteness and engaging in anti-racist practice is crucial in creating racial equity.  This space is for all undergraduate and graduate students at UNC Charlotte who are interested in engaging in conversations to assist in their understanding of how racism is perpetuated individually, culturally, and systemically.  This space is intended to be group-based, meaning we would love for participants to attend all sessions.  Join in conversation with [the Office of Identity, Equity, and Engagement] staff as we work toward racial equity,” the page said.

As fascinating as the ad makes it sound, the event wasn’t well attended: only nine students came, and all of them had a primary reason for attending other than the content of the workshop.

“The total number of students in the audience for the first “White Consciousness Conversation,” held Sept. 10, was nine – but two were students there not as participants but as journalists mainly to observe, the College Fix reported.  “One was from The College Fix and another from the Niner Times campus newspaper.”

“Of the remaining seven students, five are members of the university’s conservative Young Americans for Freedom chapter, who were there more out of curiosity and concern about the nature of the seminar and its taxpayer-funded narrative as opposed to learning about how they allegedly perpetuate racism and inequality as Americans with white skin.  Finally, the other two students attended because their professors offered them extra credit to do so, they told The Fix.”

In other words, out of UNC Charlotte’s 30,000 students, almost two-thirds of which is white, approximately zero had a burning desire to learn about their white privilege.

Honestly, it’s encouraging to see an event like this fail so spectacularly, especially at a school so woke it has an entire “office of identity.”  Maybe there’s still a little bit of hope for college kids after all.

Got a story you'd like to submit for possible publication by the Chicks? Submit your article to [email protected]