I’m big on cereal. I try to keep away from the RIDICULOUSLY sugary cereals, although lemme tell ya. It’s taking everything in me not to buy Nutter Butter cereal. I’m a sucker for peanut butter.
I’m currently on a Special K kick. Kimber can attest. I literally filled her house up with 5 boxes of Special K cereal, and yes. We ate all of them. They’re the perfect snack. SUE ME.
ALL THAT BEING SAID. If you’re anything like me, being really into cereal and all, you should probably know about this.
The CDC has issued a warning on Kellogg’s Honey Smacks cereal. It’s been linked to a salmonella outbreak. They’re reporting at least 100 salmonella infections across 33 states.
— CDC (@CDCgov) July 12, 2018
27 more people have gotten sick in a multistate outbreak of salmonella illness linked to recalled Kellogg’s Honey Smacks cereal, bringing the total number of illnesses to 100, the CDC says. https://t.co/S7L5HNJxBC pic.twitter.com/FcduiXB3Yd
— CNN (@CNN) July 13, 2018
The FDA warned consumers not to purchase Honey Smacks cereal and urged people to contact the FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator if the boxes are still on store shelves. via @TodayShow https://t.co/1juOuu1WCq
— NBC News (@NBCNews) July 13, 2018
#FDA recently discovered that Kellogg’s Honey Smacks are still being sold to consumers. ALL Honey Smacks cereal was recalled in June. BE ON NOTICE. Retailers CANNOT LEGALLY SELL this product to consumers. https://t.co/D85iPrsYfX pic.twitter.com/d4Cem8OIlx
— Scott Gottlieb, M.D. (@SGottliebFDA) July 12, 2018
The CDC has tried to make this as clear as possible.
“DO NOT EAT THIS CEREAL”
Honey Smacks getting the smack down from the CDC. 🐸 https://t.co/X2KJr6fofd
— Kaz Weida (@kazweida) July 13, 2018
Advice to Consumers
- Do not eat recalled Kellogg’s Honey Smacks cereal in any size packaging.
- Check your home for the recalled cereal and throw it away, or return it to the place of purchase for a refund.
- Even if some of the cereal was eaten and no one got sick, throw the rest of it away or return it for a refund.
- If you store cereal that looks like Kellogg’s Honey Smacks in another container without the packaging and don’t remember the brand or type, throw it away.
- Kellogg’s Honey Smacks is a sweetened puffed wheat cereal.
- Thoroughly wash the container with warm, soapy water before using it again, to remove harmful germs that could contaminate other food.
Don’t risk it. Take heed to the warning. “Do not eat this cereal.”
Just…don’t. It’s not that great anyway.