WATCH: Covington Kids’ Attorney Details the People Who Now May Be Sued, and It’s Terrific
Many of the people who were smeared in the attacks on the students from Covington Catholic School have now found lawyers to stop the attacks, the libel and the harassment.
And now attorney Robert Barnes, who represents several clients related to the school from students to alumni, has detailed who he will be going after.
Barnes had put people on notice last week that people had until Friday to take down any libelous tweets or attacks on the kids.
Some people like Kathy Griffin and Rep. Ilhan Omar took the hint and took down their attacks, so he said they would not be on the list of those who he would go after.
First, those who are in the clear: Rep. Ilhan Omar, who posted a tweet that claimed the students told a woman, “It’s not rape if you enjoy it” and who took the side of the Black Hebrew Israelite sect harassing the students, saying they were harassing the sect instead. Barnes said they asked her to retract the tweet and she did.
Also on that list was comedian Kathy Griffin, who retracted tweets which were aimed at doxing the students.
There were others, however who didn’t take the warning.
Among the people Barnes mentioned and whose attacks remained up as of Monday were former CNN host Reza Aslan and ABC News analyst Matthew Dowd.
Barnes also named actor Michael Rapaport who put out a vile video cursing out the boys and calling them all kinds of disgusting names as well as the New York Daily News who claimed the students had appeared in “blackface” when in fact the pictures referenced students from prior years in bodypaint doing “blackout game” a common team spirit practice where teams wear or paint themselves in various colors, black being only one.
While libel suits can be challenging to prevail in, Barnes told Jesse Watters that this case involved lower standards of proof.
“When there is a defamation and libel of private citizens, particularly minors, then the legal standard goes way down,” Barnes said. “So you no longer have to prove actual malice or malevolent intent. All you have to prove is that a false statement was made — or in Kentucky, the law is even broader, ‘an unflattering impression given and a person’s impression in a false light’ — and otherwise … that it just be negligent to do so.”
That, Barnes explained, is why the families gave individuals a 48-hour window to retract or delete their statements.
“If they still refuse to do so, it’s clearly negligent for them to keep false statements up.”
It’s pretty despicable that these folks picked on these kids to begin with and even more so that after all the information has come out that they haven’t retracted their attacks.
Kudos to Barnes for standing up for these kids and families who were targeted, libeled and endangered because of the media’s need to demonize Catholic kids in MAGA hats.