Protesters Occupying Minneapolis ‘Autonomous Zone’ Release List Of Demands, Refuse To Leave Until They’re Met

OPINION | This article contains political commentary which reflects the author's opinion.

Activists that are occupying George Floyd Square have turned the area into an autonomous zone and refuse to leave the area until their demands are met, according to Fox News.

The protesters have 24 demands that they want to be met.

George Floyd died in May last year.

Dereck Chauvin was just found guilty on all charges for the murder of Floyd.

Chauvin was found guilty of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter.

George Floyd Square has remained closed off since May last year.

Activists and protesters build a shine to commemorate Floyd at the intersection of 38th Street and Chicago Avenue.

City officials have previously stated that the intersection would reopen after the trial.

The activists are calling for the three other officers that were around during the time that Chauvin was kneeling down on Floyd’s neck to be held accountable for not stepping in.

— Advertisement —

“The current state of the intersection known as George Floyd Square is contributing to the peace and safety of the surrounding neighborhoods.”

“Amid ongoing threats of White Supremacist violence, in the absence of justice, the barricades and community structures at 38th and Chicago should remain through the trial of all four officers.”

“It’s problematic to misconstrue police brutality as progress toward racial healing.”

Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said, “I cannot allow that to happen,” Arradondo said. “Our men and women will continue to show up and respond and be the guardians of that community when they call us for help.”

From Fox News:

In announcing the decision in February to reopen the intersection at the conclusion of Chauvin’s trial, Mayor Jacob Frey said the barricades that had once been used to protect people and art were instead being used to hide illicit activity. He said the area could not be an autonomous zone, where police were prevented from entering.

A spokesperson for the Minneapolis Police Department denied to Fox News the existence of an autonomous zone in September 2020, but said at the time that crowds had interrupted police and medical responders.

In one instance in August 2020, police took 14 minutes to respond to a man who was attacked down the street from the autonomous zone during an attempted robbery, KSTP-TV reported.

In March of this year, one person was fatally shot in the area of the memorial site, according to local affiliate FOX 9.

Police received a 911 call on March 6 about two people who were shot at East 38th Street and Chicago Avenue. The callers reportedly told officers they would bring the victim to the memorial’s perimeter, but officers arrived and learned the wounded person had already been taken to a hospital.

The victim, a man in his 30s, could not be saved, according to the report. Police could not immediately locate the second victim, whether at the hospital or at the scene, where police said they experienced “interference” from people there, FOX 9 reported.

Soon after, NewsNation correspondent Brian Entin was approached and threatened by two people from the autonomous zone, with one of the people telling him he was going to “be in bad situation in a second.”

“You need to get out of here,” the person told Entin in video posted online. “I don’t give a f— who you are. You’ve been called out for who you are. You need to get in your car and go.”