OPINION | This article contains political commentary which reflects the author's opinion.
According to a story recently published by Breitbart, some members of the LGBTQ community consider President Donald Trump to be the “most pro-gay president” in American history. And that means that the Democratic Party may be in for a rude awakening this election cycle, considering they generally believe they have the LGBTQ vote locked in. But as civil gay rights activist Robert Kabel wrote in USA Today,
“For years, Democratic Party leaders have taken for granted the lesbian and gay community — along with other minority communities — thinking they had nowhere else to turn. Those days are over.”
“A recent survey of 1,200 queer men in the united states found that 45% planned on voting for the Republican President Donald Trump.”
LGBTQ Americans are tired of being taken for granted and are turning to the party that has created positive change for the community and promotes their ultimate freedom and equality. In fact, the nationally recognized Log Cabin Republicans organization, which did not endorse Donald Trump for president in 2016, officially endorsed him for reelection for exactly that reason—President Trump has proven that he is dedicated to representing LGBTQ conservatives and allies, that he believes in free speech and equality, and works toward the best interest of the LGBTQ community. As our First Lady said,
“Donald has been clear that gays and lesbians will be treated as he has always treated them: equally.”
“Today, we see free-thinkers and independent voices, like gay conservatives and Log Cabin Republicans, silenced, censored, and bullied by cancel culture mobs.”
First Lady Melania Trump supports freethinkers and trailblazers.
She is an ally for equality.
In this exclusive video, the First Lady gets unapologetically outspoken. pic.twitter.com/kc8UFDqaOB
— LogCabinRepublicans (@LogCabinGOP) October 29, 2020
Additionally, the formation of an offshoot organization called OUTspoken, further exemplifies the conservative movement of LGBTQ Americans. This organization, which is vocally pro-Trump, touts,
“We stand as proud supporters of freedom of thought and diversity of opinion. We champion equality and opportunity, and believe that conservative leadership and policies will provide opportunity for ALL Americans to thrive. For ALL families to flourish. For ALL communities to prosper. We engage with our allies to join the broader conservative movement, knowing freedom and liberty is the fastest trajectory to equality and prosperity.”
Chadwick Moore, editor-in-chief of OUTspoken, told Breitbart,
“A lot of people I know and a lot of people affiliated with OUTspoken [view Trump] as the most pro-gay [president]. [He] wants to be hands-off and let you live your life. He does not want to take away any of your rights [and] doesn’t want to give you special rights. He’s the first president to assume office being in support of gay marriage.”
Moore continued by contrasting President Trump with several prominent Democrats when he said,
“It wasn’t until 2012 — Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, and Barack Obama — they all came out [and] had their evolution, if you recall, and yet you have this interview with Donald Trump in the year 2000, and the Advocate magazine which is a big gay magazine I used to work for and they fired me when I came out as a Trump supporter. They did an interview with him in the year 2000 and they swooned over how pro-gay he was, in the sense that he’s a business guy, he wants the best person to the job.”
Richard Grenell echoed Moore’s assertion that President Trump is the most pro-gay president in a video he made for the OUTspoken organization.
So, what has President Trump actually done to improve the lives of LGBTQ Americans and earn their support?
- President Trump is the first president to openly support marriage equality before running for office and during his campaign.
- In June 2019, President Trump stated, “As we celebrate LGBT Pride Month and recognize the outstanding contributions that LGBT people have made to our great Nation, let us also stand in solidarity with the many LGBT people who live in dozens of countries worldwide that punish, imprison, or even execute individuals on the basis of their sexual orientation. My Administration has launched a global campaign to decriminalize homosexuality and invites all nations to join us in this effort!”
- In September 2019, President Trump stood before the United Nations and said, “My administration is working with other nations to stop criminalizing of homosexuality. And we stand in solidarity with LGBT people who live in countries that punish, jail, and execute people based upon sexual orientation.”
- President Trump has appointed 5 openly gay ambassadors during his presidency.
- President Trump appointed openly gay Ambassador Richard Grenell as Head of Intelligence, making Grenell the first openly LGBTQ Cabinet member. Grenell is also heading President Trump’s worldwide effort to decriminalize homosexuality.
- President Trump secured a massive donation from the pharmaceutical giant Gilead Sciences, Inc. The donation includes pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for up to 200,000 individuals every year for up to 11 years. PrEP is a medication used to reduce the risk of HIV infection in higher risk individuals. This donation is anticipated to specifically benefit the uninsured and is aimed at ending the HIV epidemic in America, which is an identified goal in the Trump Administration plan. This medication generally costs as much as $20,000 per year for each patient.
- President Trump nominated Patrick Bumatay, an openly gay Filipino man, as a judge on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. His confirmation made Bumatay the highest-ranking federal judge from the LGBTQ community. President Trump also appointed Mary Rowland, who is openly lesbian, to the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- President Trump’s support of the LGBTQ community goes beyond his presidential policies and practices. For years he has worked with charities to combat the AIDS crisis. He openly supported the amendment of the 1964 Civil Rights Act to include a ban on discriminating based on sexual orientation. Trump has long been vocal in his support of gay couples having the same rights and protections as straight couples.
For years, the LGBTQ community has been taken for granted by Democrat politicians based purely on tradition. But America is a land of free thinking and independent people, many of whom want more than empty promises. President Donald Trump has backed up his lifelong acceptance with presidential actions that have directly benefited the LGBTQ community. And while there is always progress to be made, he has worked hard to earn their vote, rather than to assume it.