OPINION | This article contains political commentary which reflects the author's opinion.
Hate is pretty blinding y’all.
The Blaze is reporting that Preacher Franklin Graham’s organization, Samaritan’s Purse, is coming to the aid of New Yorker’s suffering from coronavirus. Samaritan’s Purse is setting up a temporary hospital in Central Park.
Well, this has left some on the left very angry. No good deed goes unpunished.
One of those unhappy with this situation is New York City Council Speaker Corey Johnson.
Franklin Graham has a long history of spewing anti-LGBTQ hate speech and I find it extremely troubling that he and his organization are involved in our relief efforts in any way. I will be monitoring this situation closely.
My full statement: pic.twitter.com/2cg6dHYHwA
— NYC Council Speaker Corey Johnson (@NYCSpeakerCoJo) April 1, 2020
Then there is Democratic Senator Brad Hoylman
It's a shame that the federal government has left New York with no other choice but to accept charity from bigots. https://t.co/rFSDitIn5Q
— Senator Brad Hoylman (@bradhoylman) March 31, 2020
Sadly, others agree with Hoylman and Johnson. Here’s a small sampling of some of the responses on Twitter.
- Who asked them here and who gave them permission to set this up in Central Park? What assurances were given about how they would behave and operate?
- He shouldn’t be. Get him OUT.
- Thank you, Corey. New York needs much right now. But what we absolutely don’t need is a hateful bigot dividing and distracting us when our sole mission is to save lives and support one another.
- How in the world did this get approved? It’s not easy to get approval to do anything in Central Park! As someone who lives beside it I feel this is a scud attack in addition to a scurrilous pandemic. This group’s not only anti-gay but anti-Semitic as well. How could this happen?
These people are straight-up delusional. They would rather have people die from lack of hospital beds than to accept treatment from someone who believes that homosexuality is a sin. These politicians are feeding hysteria and creating upset about something that has not even happened. There is zero indication that Samaritan’s Purse will discriminate in any way against any person needing care. It is incredibly irresponsible, cynical, and self-serving.
Thankfully, not everyone agrees.
- Now we can all really see where the actual hate comes from.
- The vast majority of voters see this as a group of well intended people bringing hope and light into a dark place right now. Put the partisan politics aside for a season and be thankful for the people willing to serve NYC. This is not the time to score political points sir.
- Let it go. They are compassionate and want to help. Now who’s the bigot?
- How bout you just say thank you. NYC obviously needs the help.
- As a gay New Yorker, I’d like to sit down with them over a cup of coffee and thank them for putting themselves in harm’s way. That’s how change of heart happens. They are risking their lives. We should be grateful.
- Let them die because I don’t like the guy that is helping. Clueless
Senator Hoylman issued a statement about Graham’s good deed. It starts off right away with a straw man argument. There is no indication that Franklin Graham’s organization is discriminating against anyone!
COVID-19 doesn’t discriminate, and neither should Franklin Graham. It’s unacceptable that a New Yorker infected with COVID-19 could be subjected to discriminatory treatment from an organization whose leader calls us “immoral” and “detestable.”
Today I’m calling on Franklin Graham to publicly assure LGBTQ New Yorkers that they will receive the same treatment as anyone else at the Central Park field hospital. The City of New York and the Mount Sinai hospital network must monitor conditions closely at Graham’s facility and ensure every single LGBTQ patient is treated fairly. We cannot abandon our moral compass in the middle of a pandemic.
Sadly, beggars can’t be choosers: New York needs every ventilator we can get. But homophobic pastor Franklin Graham and his field hospital operation in Central Park must guarantee all LGBTQ patients with COVID-19 are treated with dignity and respect.
We’ll be watching.
Franklin Graham issued a statement where he had to state the obvious. In typical Graham style, it is full of grace and kindness. I can see why some liberals are so scared of him. Heaven forbid people who might be gay come into contact with Graham’s organization and see they are not the boogie man they have been made out to be. That would hurt the Democratic left’s whole narrative and agenda.
“We do not make distinctions about an individual’s religion, race, sexual orientation, or economic status. We certainly do not discriminate, and we have a decades-long track record that confirms just that,” Graham told NBC News in a statement. “This is a time for all of us to unite and work together, regardless of our political views. Let’s support one another during this crisis, and we pray that God will bless the efforts of all those battling this vicious virus.”
Keep up the good work Samaritan’s Purse. Thank you for stepping up to provide help to New Yorkers in their time of need.