As I mentioned yesterday, Mitch McConnell’s campaign, a congressional staffer, and a Daily Wire reporter all had their Twitter accounts suspended for revealing the leftist hatred Mitch was receiving outside his own home.
While Twitter claimed this was in order to keep McConnell “safe,” the social media platform had previously allowed the hashtag #MassacreMitch to trend FOR DAYS.
According to Daily Wire:
Video of one of the protesters, Black Lives Matter activist Chanelle Helm, calling for violence against McConnell — initially posted on Facebook and then tweeted out by congressional staffer Ben Goldey — quickly went viral, retweeted by the McConnell re-election campaign and Daily Wire reporter Ryan Saavedra. By Tuesday, Twitter had locked all three accounts until they pulled their posts featuring the video.
In the since-pulled video, which was first live-streamed on Facebook, one of the protesters says about McConnell’s recent shoulder injury that maybe someone is using a “voodoo doll” against the senator. Helm responds, “Just stab the motherf***er in the heart, please.” She went on to say she hopes he suffers “one of those heart attacks where they can’t breath, and they’re holding their chest and they fall backwards.” Instead of nursing a “broken arm” after his fall, she said, “he should have broken his raggedy, wrinkled-ass neck.”
If you haven’t read my first post about this, you really should catch up here.
Anyway – many Republicans are understandably concerned. These suspensions were IN NO WAY a way to protect McConnell’s safety, as claimed, but rather a way to silence him and protect those who aggressively threatened him.
The GOP is fighting back.
According to Fox News:
Republicans are going to war with Twitter after the platform froze the Mitch McConnell re-election account this week because the campaign posted a video of threats directed at the Senate majority leader, just as President Trump is planning a separate crackdown on left-wing social media bias.
The National Republican Senatorial Committee on Thursday said it won’t spend money on Twitter until the situation is “adequately addressed.” A top official with the Republican National Committee also said the RNC and the Trump campaign would not spend money with Twitter “until they address this disgusting bias.”
The @GOP and @TeamTrump stand with the @Team_Mitch and the @NRSC. Any future ad $ either organization was planning to spend with @Twitter has been halted until they address this disgusting bias. https://t.co/IVXjjDkizA
— Richard Walters (@rww_gop) August 8, 2019
My only concern with this – will leaving the platform create a void for Dems to fill?
Meanwhile, the White House for weeks has been hinting at possible action in relation to how social media outlets treat conservatives. A White House official told Fox News the administration is “exploring all policy solutions.” The administration has circulated drafts of a possible executive order from Trump, following a summit last month where he met with conservative social media influencers, according to Politico.
“If the internet is going to be presented as this egalitarian platform and most of Twitter is liberal cesspools of venom, then at least the president wants some fairness in the system,” a White House official told the outlet. It is unclear what the order will entail or how it would aim to curb social media bias but it reportedly deals with other issues as well.
We at COTR can speak to this clear bias firsthand. In fact, we often do.
In addition to a potential executive order, the White House is planning a summit with technology companies on Friday aimed at combatting extremism online. This comes after President Trump discussed the dangers on the internet during an address following last weekend’s shootings in El Paso and Dayton. The El Paso suspect had been linked to an online manifesto that expressed hatred toward Hispanic immigrants.
Wow. Trump is SUCH a white supremacist, right?