Last night, I was on Twitter and I saw Andy Grammer trending, which I immediately recognized could only mean four possible things:
1. Andy Grammer had died or
2. Andy Grammer had gotten married, divorced, or had a kid, or
3. Andy Grammer was completely killing the national anthem at the Championship game in a good way, or
4. Andy Grammer was completely killing the national anthem at the Championship game in a bad way.
I looked, and the vast majority of tweets were suggesting it was #4. Case in point:
@andygrammer don’t ever sing the national anthem. Ever.
— Edwin Dearborn (@edwindearborn) January 8, 2019
Was Andy Grammer really the best they could get for the national anthem?
— Will Jenne (@will_jenne) January 8, 2019
#NationalChampionship hiring @andygrammer to sing the Anthem at the 2nd most important football game of the year was a huge fail. Pretty sure he is @therealroseanne vocal coach. #knowBetterDoBetter #Shameful #BirdBox my ears & my eyes.
— Lilly Bug📎🌊 (@lillybug7982) January 8, 2019
— Lori FerrisRodriguez (@Lorirod56) January 8, 2019
Anyway. You get the idea.
Since I tuned in to the game like 10 minutes late, I missed it live, but I will say these things about Andy Grammer:
1. I don’t appreciate that he misspells his own last name. It’s kinda like how Brett Favre mispronounces his own last name. OBVIOUSLY it should be pronounced Fav-reh, and not Farve. HELLO.
2. Andy Grammer is like if you took Chris Isaak and fused him together with Robin Thicke. CHANGE MY MIND.
3. I really love the song Fresh Eyes.
I waited till there was video posted of Grammer’s anthem to judge for myself. Here it is:
You guys – it wasn’t fantastic, but I’m not sure why people are ripping it to shreds, either. It was OK. I don’t know why he said “poof” instead of “proof” but that’s forgivable. The fireworks made up for it. Beyond that, it was adequate. It was WORLDS BETTER than so many other renditions (*cough* Fergie *cough*).
What did y’all think?
Also, congrats to the Tigers for absolutely spanking Alabama. I wish the Dawgs would’ve done it, but at least someone finally did it.