In case you haven’t seen the headlines today, Mark Zuckerberg made an announcement about some changes to Facebook happening as early as next week, in a long message on his own page. Here it is:
There’s a lot to unpack and untangle here, so I want you to settle in for a bit. Make yourself comfortable. And hopefully by the end of this post, you’ll understand why this is so important.
So, in a nutshell, here’s how MZ’s message above SHOULD read:
We are better than you are at determining what information you should see in your Facebook Timeline. It doesn’t matter to us that you’ve relied on Facebook to get you information from pages you’ve chosen to follow and like – we know what’s best for you.
We think pages like The Chicks On The Right are #fakenews, so we’re going to do everything we can to make it nearly impossible to see their posts in your Facebook timeline. It’s an election year, after all. And it’s way more important to us that you continue to see news from what WE think are legitimate sources (mainstream media) instead of sites like COTR.
Now, we’re going to justify the changes we’re making by telling you it’s for your own good, and that we care about your happiness and well-being and personal connections, because if we tell you the truth, which is that we want to demand pages like COTR pay us tons of money in order for their posts to get seen, you won’t take us as seriously.
Anyway, what this means is that you’re going to see mostly just friends and family stuff from now on. We already started showing COTR posts to fewer and fewer people last year, which is why they’re constantly getting messages from their followers wondering where they went, even though they haven’t gone anywhere. We just don’t really want you to see their stuff. But since around 5,000 of their 1.1 Million followers typically still see their posts, we feel like we need to decrease that number some more. In fact, we wanna get the number of followers that see COTR posts as close to zero as possible.
That’s what a more genuine message from Facebook would have looked like. And you can substitute any number of page names in place of our name – this isn’t just impacting us – but I have a sneaking suspicion that it’s impacting a lot more conservative pages than liberal ones.
Just a hunch.
Back when we first got our FB page in 2009, and we had, say, 10-15,000 followers, MORE of those followers would see our posts then than our 1.1 Million followers see today. That’s not an exaggeration, y’all. That’s how much Facebook has limited our reach, and the reach of pages like ours. Even when people have chosen to follow the page and even when they have opted to “See Our Posts First” – FB will arbitrarily change those settings. In fact, Daisy and I both discovered not long ago that WE were no longer followers of our OWN FREAKING PAGE.
And we can assure you, we had nothing to do with that. 🙂
In any case, there are things you can do to make sure we can continue the work we’ve done for the past 9 years. You can do any and all of these things to help!
- VISIT THIS WEBSITE at least once a day, every day. The importance of this cannot be overstated. If you rely on FB to get you here, I guarantee you you’re seeing only a tiny fraction of the content. You’re missing out on so much, and that’s about to get even worse, given MZ’s message above.
- INTERACT with our Facebook page when you DO see posts from us. Commenting has a greater impact than a “like” or other FB emoji. Comment and share – the more you interact, the greater the chances are of you continuing to see our content in your news feed.
- FOLLOW our other social media platforms. If you don’t have a Twitter account, now’s the time to join. Twitter has its own issues of stifling conservative voices, but for now, it’s another avenue to see our content. You can find us on Twitter right here. And you can also follow us on Instagram right here.
- JOIN our new Facebook Group! Since Group posts will still be shared by Facebook (at least, that’s what MZ’s message would indicate), we created a Group page today, and anyone and everyone is invited to join. It shouldn’t take more than a few hours for one of us to see your join request and approve you (unless of course it’s in the middle of the night in which case it could take longer). We’ll try to share as much of our content there as we do on our regular page. Here’s the link to join! You can also choose to get notifications whenever there is a new post by making that selection like this:
- LISTEN to our radio broadcast on 93WIBC weekdays, 9am – 11am ET! You can either listen via your radio dial if you’re local to Indianapolis, or stream live via WIBC, or subscribe to our podcast!
- At the bottom of every post we write, you’ll see this:
Click one of those buttons whenever you can to help share our content, AND also to get on our mailing list.
- VISIT THIS WEBSITE at least once a day, every day. Right now you’re all, “Wait. Didn’t you already tell us that?” And the answer is yes. Yes I did. That’s how important it is. 🙂
This is an election year. It’s more important than ever that we all stay engaged, stay active, and stay committed to spreading the message of conservatism. Help us do that.